Monday, May 20, 2013

"The Cricket and the Butterfly" by Imogene Gonzalez


The Cricket and the Butterfly

 …And so the cricket, fearing that this meeting would be their last, turned to the caterpillar and said, "I love you, but you're changing whilst I remain as I was. This cannot continue." The caterpillar looked at his love sadly before he too spoke.

"My darling, I feel the changes you speak of. But know this: I may soar through the skies in the future, but my heart will always be grounded with you." They embraced with passionate sorrow, and parted ways.

The caterpillar pined for his love as he transformed within his chrysalis, and the cricket longed for her caterpillar as she chirped her nightly song.

He laughed and played with his new butterfly friends and she knew that she was just a plain cricket and could never compete. She smiled sadly, accepting the fact that their love truly was over; he was no longer her caterpillar. She returned to her cricket home and married a cricket husband. The now-butterfly married a lovely butterfly bride and all was well.

But neither could deny that their love was far from them. Hers soared through the endless blue sky, and his was firmly planted on the rich ground.

It was torturous and agonizing; breath-taking and surreal. It wasn't perfect.

It simply was.

No comments:

Post a Comment